Thursday, February 8, 2007

Hooka Store - #15

One of my favorite pass times in Kuwait it smoking shesha (flavored tobacco) out of a hooka. I was told that this tradition came to Kuwait from Turkey. There are shesha bars everywhere, and it is common to see it in most restaurants. There are many different flavors (mostly fruit flavors), but one of my favorites is mint with lemon. Mmm!! These hookas are displayed in the window at one of the many, many, many shesha stores. To the left, is a fur covered hose (used to suck the smoke out of the hooka). I'm not sure I'd customize mine with fur.... to each their own!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have sesha smoke in Jakarta as well! I've been wondering where it was originally from. Now I know it's Kuwaiti tradition.

Marcia said...

Yes, it is a Kuwaiti tradition, however, it did not originate here. From what I was told by a Kuwaiti, it came to Kuwait from Egypt, which in turn came from Turkey. I'll have to research it more to find its definate origin. Its great, though, isn't it?!

Dsole said...

I love shesha too! Here in Madrid you can find many shesha bar, I like apple one :)
Cool photo!

Dee said...

Hey we've got shesha bars in Houston too. My favorite is strawberry.